Yet another lovely trip to the summerhouse is over. It has been such an amazing week with my brother, dad, uncle, aunt and two cousins – and a whole lot of people dropping in and out. The black wooden beach house with white windows and doors, which I am lucky enough to call my summerhouse, has been buzzing with life, happy people and sunshine.
Now we are on our way home – and tomorrow we will head for Sicily. I can barely wait.
We have had so much delicious food in the summerhouse. My uncle is a master baker, my dad took care of the grilling and I… Well evidently I became the salad chef. No complains there. I love love love making summer salads all day every day.
I made a bunch of different salads – this tomato salad being my favourite of them. It’s perfect served as a side for grilled goods – veggies and meat alike. And it is a great way of enjoying the sweet summer tomatoes now they are in season.
– Half a tablespoon sounds like a lot of salt, but it is wonderful in this salad. Salt goes very well with tomatoes. It makes them shed some liquid and intensify the taste of them.
Tomato Mozzarella Salad
2 cups cherry tomatoes in different colors (I used yellow and red but purple would be a gorgeous addition)
½ tbsp. coarse sea salt
1 handful fresh basil (leaves and stems)
1 small red onion
1 ball of buffalo mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
½ tbsp. olive oil
Fresh basil for garnish
- Half the tomatoes and mix them with the salt. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the basil and slice the onion very thinly. Mix into the tomatoes. Let sit for another 5 minutes.
- Rip the buffalo mozzarella into mouth sized pieces. Stir them into the salad.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle on pepper and garnish with more fresh basil leaves.