Healthy Nutella – Gourmet Chocolate Spread with Roasted Hazelnuts
I love Nutella. Except that I don’t.
Super confusing. The thing is I think whoever got the idea of combining hazelnuts and chocolate was a genius. A prodigy. The Einstein of Food. Those two flavours complete each other like strawberries & chocolate, balsamic & tomatoes, caramel & sea salt and goat cheese & honey.
So when people talk about Nutella truffles, Nutella muffins and Nutella grilled toast I am all like “ooh, YES PLEASE let’s make that RIGHT NOW!” But then I remember – I don’t like Nutella. At least not Nutella-Nutella.
“Why?” I ask myself. It’s simply too sweet. I know I sound like a health fanatic, but that’s the truth. The sugar taste overrule the hazelnut and most importantly the chocolate flavour. So I always make mine myself. It’s easy, even more delicious, and you can eat it by the spoon.
Healthy Gourmet Nutella
- 3/4 cup (120g. / 180mL) hazelnuts
1/4 cup (60mL) almonds
2 tbsp. light sesame oil (or other taste neutral oil*)
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 medjool date (or two small very soft dates)
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 390ªF
- Place the hazelnuts and almonds on a baking sheet with baking paper and roast them in the oven for approx. 5 minutes or until they start to smell nice.
- Rub off the skin from the hazelnuts (I recommend doing this between two paper towels.
- Place the nuts in a food processor and blend until hey turn into butter. If you – like me – have a weak food processor this can take up to ten minutes.
- Once smooth add in the remaining ingredients and pulse to combine.
- Store in a mason jar in the fridge.